In general, finishes perform best at temperatures of 65 - 80 degrees (F) 19- 28(C) and Relative Humidity at 40% to 60%.
Finishes generally do not perform well when...
- Temperatures are over 90 degrees (F) 32(C)
- Temperatures are under 50 degrees (F) 10(C)
- Relative Humidity is over 90% RH
- Relative Humidity is under 30% RH
"As the spread rate doubles the cure rate cubes" I.E. 2-4-16-32-64-128 (hrs).
OMU coating with a spread rate of 500sqft/gal and a dry rate of 8hrs. If this coating is applied at a rate of 250sqft/gal it will dry in 512hrs (21days) assuming the temperature is 77 degrees (F) 25(C) and the Relative Humidity is 55% with good ventilation. If you double the coverage rate, the dry time cubes.
- If temperature is higher and Humidity is lower, dry time will be faster.
- If temperature is higher and Humidity is higher, dry time will be slower.
- If temperature is lower & Humidity is lower, dry time will be faster.
- If temperature is lower & Humidity is higher, dry time will be slower.
The dry times, indicated on the DuraSeal® labels, are determined by a combination of the Dura Seal laboratory and contractor field testing, by spreading the coating at the precise recommended coverage rates.
Caution is advised with either waterbased or Oil Modified Urethane finishes, where the relative humidity is 30% or less and the temperature exceeds 95 degrees (F) 35 degrees (C).
"If you are comfortable, so is the finish."